Opioid Prescribing: Safe Practice, Changing Lives
Release Date: November 21, 2016
Expiration Date: November 30, 2018
• CE for this activity will not be available after this date. This date is subject to change.
• If you participated in the live session provided at the AANP 2016 National Conference, you may not receive duplicate credit for this activity. It provides the same content in a different format.
Misuse of ER/LA opioids is a major public health problem that has gained national attention. You can be part of the solution.
Join thousands of NPs who have completed this course to learn more about safe, effective prescribing and medication management for patients with pain.
OVERVIEW: This activity provides current information on the management of pain and applying best practices to safely and effectively prescribe ER/LA opioid analgesics. The content includes all the elements of the FDA Blueprint for prescriber education for ER/LA opioid analgesics.
This activity is presented by AANP, a member of the Collaborative on Relevant Education (CO*RE) which is made up of 13 inter-professional organizations working together to improve pain management and prevent adverse outcomes. Upon completion of this REMS-compliant educational activity the learner will be considered a “completer” of the REMS-compliant training on ER/LA opioid analgesics.
OBJECTIVES: After completion of this activity participants will be better able to:
- Describe appropriate patient assessment for treatment with ER/LA opioid analgesics, evaluating risks and potential benefits of ER/LA therapy, as well as possible misuse.
- Apply proper methods to initiate therapy, modify dose, and discontinue use of ER/LA opioid analgesics, applying best practices including accurate dosing and conversion techniques, as well as appropriate discontinuation strategies.
- Demonstrate accurate knowledge about how to manage ongoing therapy with ER/LA opioid analgesics and properly use evidence-based tools while assessing for adverse effects.
- Employ methods to counsel patients and caregivers about the safe use of ER/LA opioid analgesics, including proper storage and disposal.
- Review/assess general and product-specific drug information concerning ER/LA opioid analgesics and identifying potential adverse effects of ER/LA opioids.
Brett Badgley Snodgrass, APRN, FNP-C
Randall Hudspeth, PhD, APRN-CNP, FAANP
This program was planned in accordance with AANP CE Standards and Policies. Brett Snodgrass is on a speaker’s bureau for Depomed, Iroko, and AstraZeneca. Randall Hudspeth has nothing to disclose
This educational activity may contain opinions of the speakers from their personal experience. The activity may contain discussion of published and/or investigational uses of agents that are not indicated by the FDA. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings. Further, attendees/participants should appraise the information presented critically and are encouraged to consult appropriate resources for any product or device mentioned in this program.
CE Credit: To complete the CE for this activity, review all the content, successfully complete on the online post-test and submit the online program evaluation.
For questions about this online CE activity, or more information concerning the AANP CE Center, please contact the AANP CE Center Manager at CECenter@aanp.org.