Improving the Management of Depression in Primary Care: Insights into Diagnosis and Treatment
Released: June 3, 2016
Expires: May 31, 2018
• CE for this activity will not be available after this date.
This activity is hosted on our partner site. Upon completion of this activity, you will receive a Participation Code. Enter this Code in the "Steps to Receive Credit" box where indicated for this activity to continue to the posttest and evaluation for CE credit.
Major depressive disorder (MDD) is one of the most common mental disorders diagnosed in the United States, with an estimated 16% of US adults experiencing MDD at some point during their lifetimes. According to the American Medical Association, chronic depression is often untreated and, on average, patients with depression receive the recommended quality of care only 58% of the time. The goal of this activity is to expand knowledge, skills, and competency among nurse practitioners (NPs) in diagnosing and selecting optimal individualized therapy for adults with MDD, ultimately helping to achieve the best possible patient outcomes.
This activity is a recording of an AANP Group Lecture Series CE activity presented live at meetings across the United States. If you received CE credit for one of the live presentations, you may not receive duplicate credit for this version offered in this new format.
After completion the learner will be better able to:
• Summarize guideline changes in the new Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition, that impact the diagnosis and assessment of MDD.
• Assess the severity and risks of depression at the time of diagnosis.
• Summarize current evidence for efficacy and safety of new therapies recently approved for the treatment of depression.
• Develop customized treatment regimens for adults with depression, considering medication efficacy and safety, drug interactions, dosing options, and patient comorbidities.
• Explain the benefits of using rating scales to assess patient response to depression treatment and medication side effects.
Susie Adams, PhD, RN, PMHNP, FAANP, FAAN
This activity was planned in accordance with AANP CE Standards and Policies and developed in cooperation with MCM Education. This CE activity is supported through an educational grant from Forest Laboratories, Inc.
Dr. Adams has no relevant affiliations to disclose.
This educational activity may contain discussion of published and/or investigational uses of agents that are not indicated by the FDA. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings. Further, participants should appraise the information presented critically and are encouraged to consult appropriate resources for any product or device mentioned in this program.
To complete the CE for this activity, review all the content, receive and enter the Participation Code in the Get Certificate box for this program, and successfully complete the online post-test and online evaluation.
For more information concerning this online CE opportunity and the AANP CE Center, please contact the AANP Education Manager at CECenter@aanp.org .