Safe Opioid Prescribing Using National Standards in Primary Care
Recorded for 2022 National Conference | Part of the Opioid and Controlled Substance Prescribing Bundle
Category: Opioid and Controlled Substance Prescribing Bundle
, Cert Exam Domain - Planning
, Courses that Meet DEA Requirements
, End Of Life Care
, Expiring Soon
, Immunology/ Rheumatology
, Primary Care
, Substance Use Disorder
, Telehealth / Technology
, Wound Care (show less)
, End-of-Life Planning
, Integrative Health
, Men's Health
, Military/Uniformed Services Health Care
, Occupational Health
, Pain Management
, Palliative Care
, Primary Care
, Substance Abuse
, Women's Health
This CE activity was recorded for the 2022 AANP National Conference.
|Content Expires:||September 30, 2023 (11:59 p.m. CT)|
CE for this activity will not be available after this date.
| This activity includes closed captioning.|
|Delivery Note: The content for this activity was previously presented during the 2022 AANP National Conference. If you already completed the content of this activity while attending the live or virtual conference, you should not complete this content a second time. Learners should only complete ONE delivery-method to earn credit. Completing multiple delivery options for the same activity is considered duplicate credit for the same content and will not be accepted by regulatory bodies.|
NPs in primary care are frequently challenged to manage acute and chronic pain and sometimes addiction. Understanding how to implement the nationally vetted safe opioid prescribing standards of care will increase patient safety, better mitigate misuse issues, affect pain management, and provide a legal defense for the NP if regulatory complaints or litigation issues arise.This activity includes 0.85 hours of CE on the safe and effective prescribing of opioids/controlled substances.
- Discuss the established standards of safe opioid prescribing that apply to a primary care setting for acute and chronic pain.
- Describe the phases of care and prescribing for acute and chronic pain management.
- Describe the care components that are appropriate in each phase to implement the standards for safe opioid prescribing.
- Discuss practice techniques that can evidence meeting standards for safe opioid prescribing.
Dr. Randall Hudspeth, PhD, MBA, MS, APRN-CNP, FRE, FAANP
This program was planned in accordance with AANP CE Standards and Policies.
- The speaker has no financial relationship with any product or pharmaceutical company.
- Does independent practice breakdown assessments for Boards of Nursing specific to opioid prescribing by APRNs.
- Represented AANP on the CO*RE opioid education REMS workgroup.
- Fellow in National Academy Regulatory Excellence.
This educational activity may contain opinions of the authors from their personal experience. The activity may contain discussion of published and/ or investigational uses of agents that are not indicated by the FDA. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings. Further, attendees/ participants should appraise the information presented critically and are encouraged to consult appropriate resources for any product or device mentioned in this program.
DisclaimerIndividuals who have contributed to the CE Center (content originally from the 2022 AANP National Conference) were carefully selected for their knowledge and experience in the subject area under review. This presentation is informational only and may contain opinions of the authors from their personal experience that do not necessarily express the opinions of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP). The activity may contain discussion of published and/or investigational uses of agents that are not indicated by the FDA. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings. Clinical practice is a constantly changing process and new information becomes available every day. Neither AANP nor the contributing individuals can warrant that the material will continue to be accurate, nor do they warrant that the material is completely free of errors upon publication. Attendees and participants should appraise the information presented critically and are encouraged to consult appropriate resources for any product or device mentioned in this program.
CE Credit Instructions
- Read this activity description, including objectives and disclosures.
- Complete all educational content:
- OnDemand Presentations: Click the Play button to watch the activity video lecture. To get full credit for the learning activity portion, you must watch all of the video content.
- Click on the Additional Resources button to review all additional materials provided (handouts and any other downloadable resources).
- After completing all educational content, go to the Next Steps button:
- Submit the activity evaluation to receive full AANP CE/Rx credit.
- Click on the Get Certificate button. At the top of the certificate screen, use the provided dropdown menu and select AANP Certificate of Completion.
- A copy of your certificate of completion will display on the screen for you to print or save. A copy of the certificate will also be emailed to you.
- A copy of the certificate will be automatically added to your AANP CE Tracker.
For questions or more information concerning this CE Center activity, contact AANP CE Center Support at email@example.com.
|0.85 Contact Hour(s) of CE
Additional CE activities of interest
Understanding Pain Medication Pharmacology, Abuse-Deterrent Formulations, and When and How to Use Them
Pain Management: 2022 and Beyond
What the Evidence Tells Us About Effective Alternative to Opioid Therapies and How to Effectively Manage Patients Participating in Buprenorphine or Methadone Recovery Programs
Acute Care Radiology Review (F22)
Antimicrobial Update: A Focus on Treatment Recommendations in Sexually Transmitted Infections (F22)
Appropriate Medical Imaging to Order (F22)
Common Orthopedic Conditions Seen in Primary Care (F22)
Benign Lesions & Rashes: What to Do and When to Worry (F22)
Spine Head to Toe: Correlating the Exam with the Diagnosis (F22)
Obesity Management: Challenges and Solutions (F22)
Principles of Antibiotic Stewardship (F22)
Lumbar Pathologies: Decoding the Diagnoses (F22)