Identifying and Acting on What Matters to Patients: An Introduction to Patient Priorities Care
Expires: 09/30/2024 (subject to change)
- CE for this activity will not be available after this date.
Webinar Date and Time: 9/27/2023 from 12:00-1:00 PM CTOnDemand Viewing Now Available!
Patient Priorities Care helps patients and clinicians focus all decision-making and healthcare on what matters most: patients’ health priorities. It was developed by clinicians, patients, caregivers, health system leaders, and payers.
Patient Priorities Care is particularly suited for older adults who must manage multiple conditions and navigate multiple clinicians. People with multiple conditions receive a lot of care that is often burdensome and may not address what matters most to them. Patient Priorities Care recognizes that, when faced with tradeoffs, older adults differ in their own health outcome goals (what they want to achieve from their healthcare) and in their care preferences (what they can do to achieve their goals). Patient Priorities Care is not a new care model. Rather, it has the tools to help patients and clinicians better do what they want to do: tailor care to what matters most to each person.
Patient Priorities Care resources address the What Matters "M", the core element of the Age-Friendly Health Systems (AFHS) 4Ms Framework: what Matters, Medication, Mentation, and Mobility.
- Communicate the basic tenets of the Patient Priorities Care approach and how it aligns with Age Friendly Health Systems and 4Ms.
- Explain the value and goal elicitation process that leads to identification of actionable goals, healthcare preferences and the one thing that matters most.
- Gain a preliminary understanding of aligning care with what matters most with emphasis on shared decision-making principles and troubleshooting.
- Describe how patient priorities care is used to address health inequities and foster trust with the patient.
Melissa deCardi Hladek, PhD, CRNP, FNP-BC
Assistant Professor, Johns Hopkins University Nursing
Nurse Practitioner, Esperanza Center
This program was planned in accordance with AANP CE Standards and Policies.
- Melissa deCardi Hladek has no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
All Planners involved in this activity have no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Individuals who have contributed to the CE Center were carefully selected for their knowledge and experience in the subject area under review. This presentation is informational only and may contain opinions of the authors from their personal experience that do not necessarily express the opinions of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP). The activity may contain discussion of published and/or investigational uses of agents that are not indicated by the FDA. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings. Clinical practice is a constantly changing process and new information becomes available every day. Neither AANP nor the contributing individuals can warrant that the material will continue to be accurate, nor do they warrant that the material is completely free of errors upon publication. Attendees and participants should appraise the information presented critically and are encouraged to consult appropriate resources for any product or device mentioned in this program.
CE Credit Instructions
- Read this activity description, including objectives and disclosures.
- Complete the educational content completely:
- Webinar Presentation: Attend the live webinar or watch the recorded on-demand video of the webinar.
- Review all additional materials provided (handouts, post-test reviews, any other downloadable resources).
- After completing all content, click on the blue Next Steps button:
- Submit the evaluation to receive full AANP CE/Rx credit.
For questions or more information concerning this online CE opportunity contact the AANP CE Support team at CECenter@aanp.org.
Additional CE activities of interest
Multiple Sclerosis and Covid-19 Vaccination
At the Heart of the Matter
MODULE 1: OEM Policy and Regulatory Essentials
Commercial Motor Vehicle Medical Examiner Training
MODULE 2: Workplace Evaluations
Pharmacologic Management of Obesity: Improving Health and Reducing Risks in Adolescents and Adults
Addressing Substance Use Disorders in Primary Care Bundle
Immunizations: Getting Your Families Ready for the School Year
Pain Assessment and Management – All That You Didn’t Learn in School (But Wish You Did!) Part 1 and Part 2
Making the Most of the Tools We Have: Pain Pharmacology and Nurse Coaching
2023 Update on Treatment of Hypertension in Older Adults (N23)
How I Manage Patients on Chronic Opioid Therapy