Introductory Certificate of Obesity Management in Primary Care (Modules 1-7)
7 Module Series: Obesity Education for the Primary Care NP
Release Date: March 29, 2018
, Billing and Coding
, Eating Disorders
, Evaluation (Follow-up)
, Evidence-Based Guidelines
, Health Promotion
, Men's Health
, Metabolic Syndrome
, Obesity/Weight Mangement
, Primary Care
, Treatment Plan
, Women's Health
Expiration Date: April 30, 2020, (subject to change)
- CE will not be available for this activity after this date.
This in-depth program is designed to provide NPs with the most current evidence-based information for patient-centered management of obesity. It will focus on developing expertise and incorporating that new knowledge into clinical practice to provide individualized, evidence-based and best practices in the management of obesity with a goal of helping their patients achieve and maintain optimal weight, reduce obesity-related complications, and improved their quality of life.
Completion of this program will earn the learner an Introductory Certificate of Obesity Management in Primary Care from AANP. To earn this certificate each learner must complete a series of questions before, during and after the program. These questions are asked to assess the learners’ current knowledge and/or competence; evaluate if there is a change in their knowledge and/or competence as a result of the program; to engage the learner in applying the information gained; and to reinforce the program material.
CE Credit Instructions
- Read this activity description, including objectives and disclosures.
- Complete the pretest for this activity BEFORE completing the modules.
- Complete the educational content completely for each Module, 1 through 7, as listed in the products list:
- Content Presentations: Watch all 7 presentations completely and in order.
- Complete all interactions with each presentation and obtain a minimum of a 70% pass rate for the CE questions as indicated in each module.
- Review all additional materials provided (handouts, posttest reviews, any other downloadable resources).
- After completing all content, return to this activity, and go to Steps to Receive Credit to complete the overall posttest and evaluation to receive full AANP CE/Rx credit.
- Important Note: The content for this full activity is also available individually in the AANP CE Center. Learners completing this full course should NOT complete the individual CE activities. That is duplicate credit for the same content and may not be accepted by some regulatory bodies.
Overall this curriculum will:
- Provide NPs with the most current data and information concerning evidence-based management of obesity.
- Empower NPs to improve the rate and effectiveness of their obesity interventions to ultimately increase the number of patients who are successful with weight loss and reduce the health burden of obesity.
- Enable NPs to formulate a patient-centered obesity management plan with pragmatic strategies and tools compatible with a busy health care environment.
Angela Golden, DNP, FNP-C, FAANP
Sandra Christensen, MSN, ARNP, FOMA
Medical Writer and Editor:
Kristen M. Richardson, M.A.
Sue Ellen Gondran, DNP, APRN, FNP-BC
This activity was planned in accordance with AANP Accreditation Standard and is supported by an educational grant provided by Novo Nordisk, Inc. The speakers note the following affiliations:
Angela Golden, DNP, FNP-C, FAANP:
Novo Nordisk: Consultant Speakers bureau – honorariums (topic obesity)
Takeda/Lundbeck: Speakers bureau – honorarium (topic depression)
Sanofi: consultant – honorarium (topic diabetes)
Sandra M. Christensen, MSN, ARNP, FOMA:
Novo Nordisk: Consultant, Advisory Board, and Speaker's Bureau-honorariums
Participants should appraise the information presented critically and are encouraged to consult appropriate resources for any product or device mentioned in this activity. Please refer to the official product prescribing information for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings.
This educational activity may contain opinions of the speakers from their personal experience. The activity may contain discussion of published and/or investigational uses of agents that are not indicated by the FDA. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings. Further, attendees/participants should appraise the information presented critically and are encouraged to consult appropriate resources for any product or device mentioned in this program.
AANP gratefully acknowledges the American Academy of PAs (AAPA) for their ground work on this core curriculum on obesity management. AAPA created and launched Obesity Leadership Edge, a multi-module program geared to assist PAs to effectively care for patients affected by obesity. AANP’s Obesity Education for the Primary Care NP is geared toward primary care nurse practitioners and is modeled from AAPA’s Obesity Leadership Edge. This activity is supported by an educational grant from Novo Nordisk Inc.
For questions about this online CE activity, or more information concerning the AANP CE Center, contact the AANP CE Center Manager at CECenter@aanp.org.
|7 Contact Hour(s) of CE,
1 of which may be applied towards Pharmacology
Additional CE activities of interest
Starting & Adjusting Insulin in Type 2 Diabetes in Primary Care
Module 1: New Approaches to Adult Obesity and Overweight
Module 2: Evaluating the Patient Who Has Overweight or Obesity
Module 3: Partnering With Patients for Behavior Change
Module 4: Comprehensive Lifestyle Intervention
Module 5: Pharmacologic Therapy
Module 6: Bariatric Surgery and Devices
Module 7: Implementing Practice Changes to Support Effective Management
CMV - Medical Examiner Training