Human Trafficking: Nurse Practitioners Leading the Clinical Response
Human Trafficking Essential Training for NPs
Expires: 01/04/2024 (subject to change)
- CE for this activity will not be available after this date.
Up to 88% of persons exploited by trafficking are seen by a health care provider without being identified and thus, remained without assistance. This compelling course will challenge learners to apply a patient-centered, trauma-informed, evidence-based and culturally responsive clinical approach as they interact with patients who may be exploited in the human trafficking trade. This activity is AANP-accredited for 2.0 contact hours of continuing education (CE) credit.
Licensing Board Requirements
This CE meets the "Human Trafficking" CE Requirement for the following State Boards of Nursing (BON):
- Arkansas State BON, District of Columbia BON, Florida BON, Mississippi BON, New Mexico BON,
North Dakota BON, South Carolina BON, Texas BON (approved as of 3-29-22), West Virginia BON for Registered Professional Nurses.
This CE has also been approved to meet the "Human Trafficking" CE Requirement for:
AANP is actively seeking approval from additional BONs and organizations that have a requirement for "Human Trafficking" continuing education. We will update this section with additional approvals as they are received.
- Dermatology Nurse Practitioner Certification Board, New Mexico Certified Nurse Midwives and Licensed Midwives.
- Appraise the role of the nurse practitioner in prevention, identification, referral, treatment, aftercare, and advocacy for trafficking victims.
- Assess ethical implications of the nursing role in trauma-informed decision-making and resource allocation.
- Analyze evidence-based best practices and patient-centered response by individual clinicians and the health system.
- Illustrate emerging trends in diverse care environments with effective clinician response.
Jessica L. Peck, DNP, APRN, CPNP-PC, CNE, CNL, FAANP, FAAN
This program was planned in accordance with AANP CE Standards and Policies.
- Jessica Peck has no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
All Planners involved in this activity have no relevant financial relationships to disclose. This activity is a continuing education activity developed by AANP Education.
Individuals who have contributed to the CE Center were carefully selected for their knowledge and experience in the subject area under review. This presentation is informational only and may contain opinions of the authors from their personal experience that do not necessarily express the opinions of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP). The activity may contain discussion of published and/or investigational uses of agents that are not indicated by the FDA. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings. Clinical practice is a constantly changing process and new information becomes available every day. Neither AANP nor the contributing individuals can warrant that the material will continue to be accurate, nor do they warrant that the material is completely free of errors upon publication. Attendees and participants should appraise the information presented critically and are encouraged to consult appropriate resources for any product or device mentioned in this program.
CE Credit Instructions
- Read this activity description, including objectives and disclosures.
- Complete the Pretest associated to the activity.
- Complete the educational content:
- Interactive Presentations: Click the Play button to launch the interactive activity. Content will launch in a new window. Full participation credit for the activity will be received once the end of the activity has been reached and learner receives their activity participation code displayed on the screen. Learner must write down / remember the code in order to move on!
- Click on the Additional Resources button to review all additional materials provided (handouts, post-test reviews, any other downloadable resources).
- After completing all content, click on the blue Next Steps button:
- Enter the participation code (exactly as it was displayed) that was received at the end of the presentation content.
- Complete the post-test with a passing score of 70% or higher. Learners will have 4 attempts to pass the post-test.
- Submit the evaluation to receive full AANP CE/Rx credit.
For questions or more information concerning this online CE opportunity contact the AANP CE Center Support Team at CECenter@aanp.org.
Additional CE activities of interest
Managing Hypertension in Adults Utilizing an Evidence-Based Approach (F21)
Pharmacology for Obesity Treatment: Today and Tomorrow (F21)
2021 Clinical Practice Guidelines for Best Practice in the Management of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus (F21)
Managing Heart Failure in 2021: Implementing Guideline Recommendations into Practice (F21)
Ten Essentials Every Practitioner Must Know: The Importance of Integrated Care (F21)
Understanding Suicidality: Assessment, Treatment and Prevention for the Health Care Provider (F21)
The Neurobiology of Trauma: Basis of Symptom Development (F21)
The Gut Microbiome and Cardiometabolic Risks (F21)
A Structured Approach to De-prescribing Psychiatric Medication (F21)
Women are Different: Understanding the Complex Female Heart (F21)
Updates in the Pharmacologic Management of Asthma (F21)
Primary Care Approach to Hypothyroidism (F21)