HIV & Primary Care: Clinical Updates for the Nurse Practitioner
Recorded Session from the AANP 2019 National Conference
, Best Practices
, Chronic Care
, Evaluation (Follow-up)
, Health Promotion
, Infectious Disease
, Primary Care
, STIs (Sexually Transmitted Infections)
, Treatment Plan
Released: October 30, 2019
Expires: April 30, 2021 (subject to change)
Conference Level: Proficient
- CE for this activity will not be available after this date.
- This activity is available for sale to non-AANP members for a non-refundable fee of $25.00.
The purpose of this presentation is to disseminate current up-to-date information for clinical consideration among nurse practitioners (NPs) who may encounter individuals with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). In the most recent publication of primary care guidelines, expanded recommendations were provided on the evaluation and follow-up of individuals with HIV which included updates on preventative health screenings and recommended vaccinations. Additionally, the emergence and use of newer antiretroviral medications with better safety profiles have resulted in the need for new clinical considerations when caring for an individual with HIV. This presentation addresses age-appropriate preventative screenings, necessary vaccinations/immunizations, new available HIV medications, and HIV drug interactions with commonly prescribed medications that need to be considered when caring for a patient with HIV outside of the HIV clinical setting. Information presented in this presentation increases NP knowledge on the most recent evidence addressing primary care within this population. NPs can use this information to educate NP students, whether in the classroom or clinical settings, so that future NPs are equipped with a foundational knowledge of caring for an individual with HIV. Only through this knowledge will NPs be effective in positively influencing health outcomes and overall quality of life of this population.
This CE activity is a recording of a CE session from the AANP 2019 National Conference. It has been edited to meet requirements for online learning. If you received CE credit for attending the live session at Conference, you many not receive duplication credit for this same activity in a different format.
CE Credit Instructions
- Read this activity description, including objectives and disclosures.
- Complete the educational content completely:
- Video Presentations: Watch all video presentations completely.
- Review all additional materials provided (handouts, posttest reviews, any other downloadable resources).
- After completing all content, go to Steps to Receive Credit:
- Complete the posttest
- Submit the evaluation to receive full AANP CE/Rx credit.
- By the end of the session, attendees will be knowledgeable of the new pharmacological regimens used for viral suppression and their safety profiles.
- By the end of this session, attendees will be knowledgeable of the appropriate vaccinations/immunizations required for a person with HIV.
- By the end of this session, attendees will be knowledgeable of common drug-drug interactions between antivirals (ART) and medications commonly prescribed in primary care.
Courtney J. Pitts, DNP, MPH, FNP-BC
This program was planned in accordance with AANP CE Standards and Policies. Dr. Pitts has no relevant affiliations to disclose.
This educational activity may contain opinions of the authors from their personal experience. The activity may contain discussion of published and/ or investigational uses of agents that are not indicated by the FDA. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings. Further, attendees/ participants should appraise the information presented critically and are encouraged to consult appropriate resources for any product or device mentioned in this program.
For questions or more information concerning this online CE opportunity contact the AANP CE Center Manager at CECenter@aanp.org.
|1 Contact Hour(s) of CE,
All of which may be applied towards Pharmacology
Additional CE activities of interest
I Just Need a Little Something: What's So Wrong About Benzos?
2019 Contraceptive Update
Geriatric Psychopharmacology in Primary Care
Antimicrobial Therapy: Best Practice
Alternatives to Care for Pain: Exploring a Holistic Approach
Food Allergy: Presentation, Diagnosis & Treatment
AANP 2019 Diabetes Virtual Conference (Online Conversion)
Depression, Dementia & Delirium in Older Adults
A Stepwise Approach to Chest Radiograph Interpretation
Take ACTION to Save Lives: Opioid Overdose Prevention for Nurse Practitioners
Interpretation of Pulmonary Function Tests