Release Date: June 10, 2017
Expiration Date: June 30, 2018 (One year only)
- CE for this activity will not be available after this date.
Reference Number: 17012488
NOTE: If you participated in the live session provided at the AANP 2017 National Conference, you may not receive duplicate credit for this activity. It provides the same content in a different format.
Misuse of ER/LA opioids is a major public health problem that has gained national attention. You can be part of the solution. Join thousands of NPs who have completed this course to learn more about safe, effective prescribing and medication management for patients with pain.
Opioid misuse, resulting in injury and death, is a major public health problem. Health care professionals who prescribe or manage patients on opioid analgesics are in a key position to balance the benefits of these drugs as effective treatment for patients in serious, chronic pain against the risks of serious adverse outcomes including addiction, unintentional overdose and death. In addition to a robust presentation on Extended Release/Long Acting (ER/LA) opioids based on the full FDA REMS blueprint, our faculty will also review the nature of pain and pain management, Immediate Release/Short Acting opioids, and the CDC Guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain.
This activity is presented by AANP, a member of the Collaborative on Relevant Education (CO*RE), which is made up of 11 inter-professional organizations working together to improve pain management and prevent adverse outcomes. Upon completion of this REMS-compliant educational activity the learner will be considered a “completer” of the FDA-recommended, REMS-compliant training on ER/LA opioid analgesics.
CE Credit Instructions
- Read this activity description, including objectives and disclosures.
- Complete the educational content completely:
- Video Presentations: Watch the video presentations in its entirety.
- Review all additional materials provided (handouts, posttest reviews, any other downloadable resources).
- After completing all content, go to Steps To Receive Credit to complete the posttest and evaluation to receive full AANP CE/Rx credit.
After completion of this activity participants will be better able to:
1. Accurately assess patients with pain for consideration of an opioid trial
2. Establish realistic goals for pain management and restoration of function
3. Initiate opioid treatment (IR and ER/LA) safely and judiciously, maximizing efficacy while minimizing risks
4. Monitor and re-evaluate treatment continuously; discontinue safely when appropriate
5. Counsel patients and caregivers about use, misuse, abuse, diversion, and overdose
6. Educate patients about safe storage and disposal of opioids
7. Demonstrate working knowledge and ability to access general and specific information about opioids, especially those used in your practice
Yvonne D’Arcy, MS, CRNP, CNS, FAANP
Randall Hudspeth, PhD, APRN-CNP, FAANP
This program was planned in accordance with AANP CE Standards and Policies. Yvonne D’Arcy is on the Advisory Boards for Pfizer, Ortho-McNeil, and Astra-Zeneca. Dr. Hudspeth has no relevant affiliations to disclose.
This educational activity may contain opinions of the speakers from their personal experience. The activity may contain discussion of published and/or investigational uses of agents that are not indicated by the FDA. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings. Further, attendees/participants should appraise the information presented critically and are encouraged to consult appropriate resources for any product or device mentioned in this program.
For questions about this online CE activity, or more information concerning the AANP CE Center, contact the AANP CE Center Manager at CECenter@aanp.org.