A Pharmacologic Update in the Management of Asthma
Recorded session from the AANP 2019 Fall Conference
Released: March 12, 2020
Expires: September 30, 2021 (subject to change)
Conference Level: Expert
- CE for this activity will not be available after this date.
This activity is available for sale to non-AANP members for a non-refundable fee of $25.00.
NEW FEATURE: To determine you are still viewing, this video presentation will stop playing/tracking your progress if there is no activity. You will be asked to click in the text box to continue.
Asthma is one of the most prevalent chronic respiratory conditions that aﬀects across the life span. It is a heterogeneous chronic remitting-relapsing cascade and interplay of immunological responses to a spectrum of triggers. In the last few years, targeted medical therapies have improved the quality of life and health burden for asthma patients. We explore the pathophysiology of asthma and the pharmacological management options available to improve health outcomes.
This CE activity is a recording of a CE session from the AANP 2019 Fall Conference. It has been edited to meet requirements for online learning. If you received CE credit for attending the live session at Conference, you many not receive duplication credit for this same activity in a different format.
CE Credit Instructions
- Read this activity description, including objectives and disclosures.
- Complete the educational content completely:
- Video Presentations: Watch all video presentations completely.
- Review all additional materials provided (handouts, posttest reviews, any other downloadable resources).
- After completing all content, go to Steps to Receive Credit:
- Complete the posttest
- Submit the evaluation to receive full AANP CE/Rx credit.
Following this presentation, participants will be able to:
- Describe the immunological basis of asthma and how current pharmacological therapies are addressing these.
- Apply clinical reasoning to analyze case studies to apply the principles of targeted asthma therapies.
- Discuss potential future targeted medical therapies that are still needed for asthma management.
- Describe the various classifications of medications available for the management of asthma.
- Describe the mechanism of action for the various classifications of medications in the management of asthma and how each addresses asthma pathology.
- Rationalize selection of medication options for the various stages of asthma management.
Tracy S. Estes, PhD, DNP, RN, FNP-BC
This program was planned in accordance with AANP CE Standards and Policies.
Dr. Estes discloses the following affiliations:
Industry Sponsored Research
- GSK – Nucala for Asthma
- Sanofi Genzyme Regeneron – Asthma Advisory Board
- Pfizer – Dermatology Advisory Board
Individuals who have contributed to the CE Center were carefully selected for their knowledge and experience in the subject area under review. This presentation is informational only and may contain opinions of the authors from their personal experience that do not necessarily express the opinions of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP). The activity may contain discussion of published and/or investigational uses of agents that are not indicated by the FDA. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings. Clinical practice is a constantly changing process and new information becomes available every day. Neither AANP nor the contributing individuals can warrant that the material will continue to be accurate, nor do they warrant that the material is completely free of errors upon publication. Attendees and participants should appraise the information presented critically and are encouraged to consult appropriate resources for any product or device mentioned in this program.
For questions or more information concerning this online CE opportunity contact the AANP CE Center Manager at CECenter@aanp.org.
|1 Contact Hour(s) of CE,
All of which may be applied towards Pharmacology
Additional CE activities of interest
A Pharmacologic Update in the Management of Atopic Dermatitis
Everyday Pharmacogenetics for the Nurse Practitioner
De-Prescribing: Polypharmacy in Older Adults
Benzodiazepines: Safe Prescribing in the Era of Prescription Drug Abuse
Achieving Balance: Neurobiology, Genomics & Treatment of Bipolar Disorders
Boost Your Breast Cancer Treatment Knowledge: Pharmacologic & Genetic Update for Primary Care Providers
Heart Failure with Reduced EF: Acute & Chronic Management in the Ambulatory Setting
Hepatology Highlights: Abnormal LFTs & Hepatitis C Update for the Primary Care Provider
HIV Treatment: The Basics for Primary Care
The Impact of Bioidentical Hormones on Women's Health
Medical Cannabis and CBD: The Blunt Basics
Refocusing on ADHD: Genomics, Neurobiology & Personalized Treatment