Released: 07/29/2021 Expires: 01/31/2023 (subject to change)
CE for this activity will not be available after this date.
Delivery Note: The monograph PDF file attached to this activity contains embedded audio files for the "Faculty Expert Opinions" in the Case Scenario section. You will need to download the PDF file to your device and open it directly from your local device to be able to properly listen to those files. Embedded media will not play if you are viewing the PDF file in a browser window. Overview The incidence of meningococcal disease has decreased in the US, with a historic low of 0.1 cases per 100,000 people recorded in 2018. About 95% of meningococcal disease cases in the US are sporadic, with the remaining 5% related to outbreaks. The most significant recent outbreaks have been reported among college students (serogroup B) and men who have sex with men (MSM) (serogroup C).
Five meningococcal vaccines are licensed and available for use in the US, including three quadrivalent MenACWY vaccines and two serogroup B meningococcal (MenB) vaccines.
This monograph reviews the clinical presentation of meningococcal disease and the complications post illness. Additionally, it covers the various MenB vaccines available and the indications for adolescent and young adults and strategies to overcome disparities in vaccination rates.
Summarize the need for life-span vaccination across different age groups.
Outline evidence that supports life-span vaccination for maintaining a healthy lifestyle, including the benefits of receiving meningococcal vaccinations.
Identify meningococcal vaccine recommendations for children, adolescents, and young adults.
Integrate strategies for shared clinical decision-making for adolescents and adults.
Apply strategies for educating, encouraging, and monitoring patients to increase vaccine adherence.
Disclosure This program was planned in accordance with AANP CE Standards and Policies.
Mary and Audrey have no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
All Planners involved in this activity have no relevant financial relationships to disclose. This activity is supported by an educational grant from GlaxoSmithKline.
Disclaimer Individuals who have contributed to the CE Center were carefully selected for their knowledge and experience in the subject area under review. This presentation is informational only and may contain opinions of the authors from their personal experience that do not necessarily express the opinions of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP). The activity may contain discussion of published and/or investigational uses of agents that are not indicated by the FDA. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings. Clinical practice is a constantly changing process and new information becomes available every day. Neither AANP nor the contributing individuals can warrant that the material will continue to be accurate, nor do they warrant that the material is completely free of errors upon publication. Attendees and participants should appraise the information presented critically and are encouraged to consult appropriate resources for any product or device mentioned in this program. CE Credit Instructions
Read this activity description, including objectives and disclosures.
Complete the Pretest associated to the activity.
Complete the educational content:
Monograph Presentations: Click the Play button to get access to the downloadable PDF monograph of the activity. Learners will be required to read all presented material in the PDF.
Click on the Additional Resources button to review all additional materials provided (handouts, post-test reviews, any other downloadable resources).
After completing all content, click on the blue Next Steps button:
Complete the post-test.
Submit the evaluation to receive full AANP CE/Rx credit.
Additional Information For questions or more information concerning this online CE opportunity contact the AANP CE Center Manager at CECenter@aanp.org.
1 Contact Hour(s) of CE, 0.5 of which may be applied towards Pharmacology