Improving Outcomes for Patients with Axial Spondyloarthritis in Primary Care
Early Recognition and Referral of AxSpA in Primary Care | Management of AxSpA in Primary Care and Beyond
, Chronic Pain
, Diagnostic Tests
, Disability and Impairment Evaluation
, Evaluation (Follow-up)
, Evidence-Based Guidelines
, Health Promotion
, Laboratory Interpretation
, Pain Management
, Primary Care
, Treatment Plan
Expires: 08/31/2023 (subject to change)
- CE for this activity will not be available after this date.
AxSpA is the most common cause of chronic inflammatory arthritis and may even be more common than rheumatoid arthritis in the U.S. Despite this, diagnostic delay allowing disease progression and loss of function. In this activity Module 1 will cover screening for AxSpA for patients with chronic low back and sacroiliac pain, including radiographic and laboratory studies, then early referral is discussed. Module 2 will cover guideline-based management of AxSpA including shared decision making, patient education, exercise, and pharmacotherapies.
- Identify the characteristics of patients with suspected AxSpA.
- Interpret results from an appropriate clinical assessment to determine when to refer patients to a rheumatologist for treatment.
- Assess patients for the appropriate use of new and emerging treatment options.
- Detail strategies for the long-term management of patients with AxSpa.
Anna Richmond, DNP, FNP-C, CPNP-PCHeather J. Jackson, PhD, APRN, FNP-BC, NEA-BC, FAANP
This program was planned in accordance with AANP CE Standards and Policies.
Anna Richmond and Heather J. Jackson have no personal nor financial relationships to disclose.All Planners involved in this activity have no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
This program is supported by educational grants from Janssen Biotech, Inc. administered by Janssen Scientific Affairs, LLC; Lilly; and Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation.
DisclaimerIndividuals who have contributed to the CE Center were carefully selected for their knowledge and experience in the subject area under review. This presentation is informational only and may contain opinions of the authors from their personal experience that do not necessarily express the opinions of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP). The activity may contain discussion of published and/or investigational uses of agents that are not indicated by the FDA. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings. Clinical practice is a constantly changing process and new information becomes available every day. Neither AANP nor the contributing individuals can warrant that the material will continue to be accurate, nor do they warrant that the material is completely free of errors upon publication. Attendees and participants should appraise the information presented critically and are encouraged to consult appropriate resources for any product or device mentioned in this program.
CE Credit Instructions
- Read the activity description for each module, including objectives and disclosures.
- Complete the Pretest for each module.
- Complete the educational content for each module:
- Video Presentations: Click the Play button to watch the activity presentation. Full participation credit for the activity will be received once the entire video has been watched.
- Click on the Additional Resources button to review all additional materials provided (handouts, post-test reviews, any other downloadable resources).
- After completing the module content, click on the blue Next Steps button:
- Complete the post-test (one attempt, no passing score required to move on).
- Submit the evaluation to receive full AANP CE/Rx credit for that module.
Note: This multi-module series allows learners to select the modules that they want to complete in any order that they want to complete them in. CE/Rx credit and a completion certificate will be awarded for EACH module that is completed.
For questions or more information concerning this online CE opportunity contact the AANP CE Center Support team at CECenter@aanp.org.
|1 Contact Hour(s) of CE,
0.5 of which may be applied towards Pharmacology