Head and Neck Cancer Essentials: What NPs Need to Know
Course of the Month - April 2023
Course of the Month
Each month, the American Association of Nurse Practitioners® (AANP) will offer a continuing education (CE) activity presented by experts from AANP Communities. For the first month that it is offered, the activity will be FREE and only available to AANP members. After the initial month has passed, the activity will become available to both AANP members and non-members for a fee (AANP members will pay a significantly discounted price). The featured activity will rotate each month, so be sure to complete the activity and earn your CE credit before the month ends to benefit from free access!
Are you interested in this activity but not yet an AANP member? Becoming an AANP member can help you save on the purchase of this course and others — and it will provide you a full year of access to exclusive member benefits. Learn more about AANP membership and consider becoming a member today!
|April 30, 2023 (11:55 p.m. CT)
|March 31, 2024 (11:55 p.m. CT)
CE for this activity will not be available after this date.
| This activity includes closed captioning.
This activity is free for AANP members
from 4/1/2023 - 4/30/2023.
Overview This educational course is designed to provide basic insights of head and neck cancer. This includes statistics related to head and neck cancer, types of head and neck cancer, risk factors, anatomy, staging and treatment of head and neck cancer for the nurse practitioner.
- Evaluate patient risk of developing head and neck cancers.
- Identify symptoms that may be concerning for head and neck cancer and prioritize appropriate physical exam, diagnostic imaging and referrals.
Maria Colandrea, DNP, NP-C, CORLN, FAANP
Erin Ross DNP, APRN, CNP, CORLN, FAANP
Disclosure This program was planned in accordance with AANP CE Standards and Policies.
- Maria Colandrea has no personal or financial disclosures to report.
- Erin Ross has no personal or financial disclosures to report.
All relevant relationships have been mitigated.DisclaimerIndividuals who have contributed to the CE Center were carefully selected for their knowledge and experience in the subject area under review. This presentation is informational only and may contain opinions of the authors from their personal experience that do not necessarily express the opinions of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP). The activity may contain discussion of published and/or investigational uses of agents that are not indicated by the FDA. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings. Clinical practice is a constantly changing process and new information becomes available every day. Neither AANP nor the contributing individuals can warrant that the material will continue to be accurate, nor do they warrant that the material is completely free of errors upon publication. Attendees and participants should appraise the information presented critically and are encouraged to consult appropriate resources for any product or device mentioned in this program.
CE Credit Instructions
- Read this activity description, including objectives and disclosures.
- Complete all educational content:
- Video Presentations: Click the Play button to watch the activity video lecture. To get full credit for the learning activity portion, you must watch all of the video content.
- Click on the Additional Resources button to review all additional materials provided (handouts and any other downloadable resources).
- After completing all educational content, go to the Next Steps button:
- Submit the activity evaluation to receive full AANP CE/Rx credit.
- Click on the Get Certificate button.
- A copy of your certificate of completion will display on the screen for you to print or save. A copy of the certificate will also be emailed to you.
- A copy of the certificate will be automatically added to your AANP CE Tracker.
For questions or more information concerning this online CE opportunity, please visit the AANP Help Center to find answers to frequently asked questions and request assistance.
Additional CE activities of interest
Pharmacologic Management of Obesity: Improving Health and Reducing Risks in Adolescents and Adults
Understanding Pelvic Organ Prolapse: Evaluation and Management
Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis: Clinical Pathway
Hot Topics In Infectious Disease for the PCP
Pain Assessment and Management – All That You Didn’t Learn in School (But Wish You Did!) Part 1 and Part 2
How I Manage Patients on Chronic Opioid Therapy
Oncological Emergencies (N23)
Ovarian and Uterine Cancer (N23)
Module 1: Tobacco Cessation
Making the Most of the Tools We Have: Pain Pharmacology and Nurse Coaching
Exhausted at Menopause: Recognition and Treatment Options (N23)
When It's Not Breast Cancer: Management of Atypical Breast Lesions (N23)