AANP 2019 Diabetes Virtual Conference (Online Conversion)
Recorded Sessions from the AANP LIVE: 2019 Diabetes Virtual Conference
Release Date: October 10, 2019
Deadline to Complete for Credit: April 30, 2021 (subject to change)
This is an online conversion of the AANP: 2019 Diabetes Virtual Conference.
- CE for this activity will not be available after this date.
- Purchase of this activity is non-refundable.
- If you received credit for the live conference, you may not accept credit for this same content in a different format.
Diabetes is an evolving, complex disease that can involve a number of treatment options and an expanded care team, including both a primary care provider and specialists. With AANP Live: 2019 Diabetes Virtual Conference, you can follow a patient with diabetes as they transition through comprehensive health care for this multisystem chronic disease. This online conversion the live interactive, virtual conference provides in-depth educational sessions about diabetes treatment, as well as the benefits and consequences, so you can lead your patients in making informed choices.
Watch recorded, detailed videos from diabetes experts, including primary care, emergency, endocrinology, cardiovascular and obesity specialists
For the session objectives, please see below.
CE Credit Instructions
- Read this activity description, including objectives and disclosures.
- Complete the educational content completely:
- Webinar/Video Presentations: Watch all 6 video presentations completely and in order.
- Review all additional materials provided (handouts, all other downloadable resources).
- Successfully answer Posttest questions for each module
- After completing all content go to Steps to Receive Credit:
- Complete and submit the evaluation to receive full AANP CE/Rx credit.
- Michael D. Gooch, DNP, ACNP-BC, FNP-BC, ENP-BC, ENP-C
- Dr. Dixie L. Harms, DNP, ARNP, FNP-C, BC-ADM, FAANP
- Angela Thompson, DNP, FNP-C, BC-ADM, CDE, FAANP
- Dr. Midge Bowers, DNP, FNP-BC, AACC, FAANP
- Sandra Christensen, MSN, ARNP, FNP-BC, FOMA
This activity was planned in accordance with AANP Accreditation Standards and Policies.
- Sandra Christensen: Honoraria, Speakers Bureau, and consulting on obesity with NovoNordisk
- Michael D. Gooch: Has no relevant affiliations to disclose
- Angela Thompson Has no relevant affiliations to disclose
- Margaret Bowers: Honoraria, co-director of online curricula and speaker at Core Curriculum in cardiology-heart failure; honoraria as conference speaker on cardiology-PVD and EKG with CARPS conference
- Dixie Harms: Consulting fee for the advisory board on diabetes with NovoNordisk
This educational activity may contain opinions of the speakers from their personal experience. The activity may contain discussion of published and/or investigational uses of agents that are not indicated by the FDA. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings. Further, attendees/participants should appraise the information presented critically and are encouraged to consult appropriate resources for any product or device mentioned in this program.
Session 1: ED Management of the Hyperglycemic Diabetic Patient
This session introduces our patient, Barbara, and the details of her encounter to the Emergency Department (ED).
Michael D. Gooch, DNP, ACNP-BC, FNP-BC, ENP-BC, ENP-C
- Recall the distinguishing features of type 1 and 2 diabetes mellitus
- Modify the plan of care including appropriate pharmacologic agents when managing the hyperglycemic diabetic patient in the emergency department
- Identify the mechanism of action and pharmacokinetic properties of insulin
Session 2: Management of Type 2 DM in Primary Care
This session follows our patient, Barbara, to her Primary Care management appointment where she receives a review of her Emergency Department (ED) diagnosis and discussion regarding options for her treatment of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.
Dr. Dixie L. Harms, DNP, ARNP, FNP-C, BC-ADM, FAANP
- Review current ADA guidelines for management of type 2 diabetes using a case scenario
- Review pharmacologic options for management of type 2 diabetes mellitus
- Discuss options for management of type 2 diabetes mellitus in primary care using case scenario
Session 3: Endocrinology in Primary Care
This session has a primary focus on our patient, Barbara, and her consult to Endocrinology for the management plan of her diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.
Angela Thompson DNP, FNP-C, BC-ADM, CDE, FAANP
- Understand the principles of intensifying therapy including medical nutrition therapy
- Verbalize key uses and eligibility requirements for continuous glucose therapy
- Identify general screening and risk assessment for patients with Type 2 Diabetes including diagnosis of CKD and strategies for prevention and treatment
- Examine the indications and benefits of Insulin pump therapy
Session 4: Cardiovascular Consult
This session follows our patient, Barbara, through the Cardiovascular implications & treatment strategies associated or potentially associated with her diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.
Dr. Midge Bowers, DNP, FNP-BC, AACC, FAANP
- Discuss two key changes in the 2017 ACC/AHA guideline for managing high blood pressure in adults
- Describe pharmacologic strategies for managing hypertension in a medically complex patient.
- Identify at least 3 potential cardiovascular complications from hypertension and strategies to mitigate them
Session 5: Obesity Treatment
This session follows our patient, Barbara, through the overview of obesity as a chronic disease and how it relates to her management plan.
Sandra Christensen, MSN, ARNP, FNP-BC, FOMA
- Define and discuss obesity as a chronic disease
- Review the components of a comprehensive obesity evaluation & diagnosis
- Discuss the four pillars of comprehensive obesity treatment
Session 6: Back to Primary Care
The final session is centered around our patient, Barbara, returning to her primary care provider for the ongoing management of her treatment plan.
Dr. Dixie L. Harms, DNP, ARNP, FNP-C, BC-ADM, FAANP
- Review care provided by specialists and continued care for a patient with type 2 diabetes in a primary care setting using a case scenario
- Discuss management of type 2 diabetes mellitus in a primary care setting using a case scenario
- Discuss ADA recommendations for chronic management of Type 2 DM
For questions about this online CE activity, or more information concerning the AANP CE Center, contact the AANP CE Center Manager at CECenter@aanp.org .
|6 Contact Hour(s) of CE,
3.92 of which may be applied towards Pharmacology
Additional CE activities of interest
2019 Contraceptive Update
Antimicrobial Therapy: Best Practice
Alternatives to Care for Pain: Exploring a Holistic Approach
I Just Need a Little Something: What's So Wrong About Benzos?
A Stepwise Approach to Chest Radiograph Interpretation
HIV & Primary Care: Clinical Updates for the Nurse Practitioner
Geriatric Psychopharmacology in Primary Care
Interpretation of Pulmonary Function Tests
The PCP Role in the AHA 2020 Impact Goal for Cardiovascular Health
Hormones, Glands & Steroids: Endocrine in the ED
Identifying Sleep Disorders In Primary Care