Addressing Substance Use Disorders in Primary Care Bundle
Includes 4 Modules - M1: Overarching Management Principles, M2: Focus on Opioids, M3: Focus on Alcohol, M4: Cannabis, Sedatives, Anxiolytics & Stimulants
Expires: 04/30/2024 (subject to change)
- CE for this activity will not be available after this date.
| Closed captioning for this activity coming soon!|
In the 2021 Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) survey, substance use disorders (SUD) were reported in 46.3 million people aged ≥ 12 years. The US has the highest rate of drug overdose deaths in the world (320 deaths per 1 million people in 2021). Drug overdose deaths rose by 14% between 2020 and 2021. SUDs are chronic, treatable diseases that should be managed using principles similar to those of other chronic illnesses using a nonjudgmental and empathetic approach. These four modules discuss identifying, screening and the management of various SUDs including opioids and alcohol.Meets the DEA requirements for the one-time 8-hour training.May meet some State requirements for CE on addiction. Check with your State Board of Nursing to confirm.
After this presentation the learner will be able to:
- Module 1:
- Review the shared neurobiologic mechanisms of addiction.
- Explain the role of the NP in screening for, diagnosing and treating substance use disorders.
- Module 2:
- Review the impact of the opioid use disorder epidemic in the US.
- Describe evidence-based treatment recommendations for patients with OUD.
- Module 3:
- Review the thresholds for normal, heavy, and binge drinking in men and women in the US.
- Describe evidence-based treatment recommendations for patients with unhealthy alcohol use or alcohol use disorder (AUD).
- Module 4:
- Review the epidemiology of cannabis, sedative, anxiolytic and stimulant misuse.
- Describe evidence-based treatment options for substance use disorders without indicated medications.
Colleen Barry, MSN, APRN, FNP-C, CARN-AP, CSAP
Laura G Leahy, DrNP, APRN, PMH-CNS/FNP, CARN-AP, FAANP, FAAN
This program was planned in accordance with AANP CE Standards and Policies.
Colleen and Laura have no relevant financial relationships to disclose.
All Planners involved in this activity have no relevant financial relationships to disclose.This program was developed through internal funding and approval of the AANP Board of Directors.
Individuals who have contributed to the CE Center were carefully selected for their knowledge and experience in the subject area under review. This presentation is informational only and may contain opinions of the authors from their personal experience that do not necessarily express the opinions of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP). The activity may contain discussion of published and/or investigational uses of agents that are not indicated by the FDA. Please refer to the official prescribing information for each product for discussion of approved indications, contraindications, and warnings. Clinical practice is a constantly changing process and new information becomes available every day. Neither AANP nor the contributing individuals can warrant that the material will continue to be accurate, nor do they warrant that the material is completely free of errors upon publication. Attendees and participants should appraise the information presented critically and are encouraged to consult appropriate resources for any product or device mentioned in this program.
CE Credit Instructions
Note: This multi-module series allows learners to select the modules that they want to complete in any order that they want to complete them in. CE/Rx credit and a completion certificate will be awarded for EACH module that is completed.
- Read this activity description, including objectives and disclosures.
- Complete the Pretest associated to the activity.
- Complete the educational content:
- Video Presentations: Click the Play button to watch the activity presentation. Full participation credit for the activity will be received once the entire video has been watched.
- Click on the Additional Resources button to review all additional materials provided (handouts, post-test reviews, any other downloadable resources).
- After completing all content, click on the blue Next Steps button:
- Complete the post-test.
- Submit the evaluation to receive full AANP CE/Rx credit.
For questions or more information concerning this online CE opportunity contact the AANP CE Center Support team at CECenter@aanp.org.
|3.04 Contact Hour(s) of CE,
0.75 of which may be applied towards Pharmacology
Additional CE activities of interest
Pain Assessment and Management – All That You Didn’t Learn in School (But Wish You Did!) Part 1 and Part 2
How I Manage Patients on Chronic Opioid Therapy
Street Drugs: Do Your Kids Know More Than You?
Making the Most of the Tools We Have: Pain Pharmacology and Nurse Coaching
Pharmacologic Management of Obesity: Improving Health and Reducing Risks in Adolescents and Adults
At the Heart of the Matter
Nurse Coaching: The Crucial Tool Missing From the Pain Tool Box
Hurt at Home: Recognition and Response to Domestic and Intimate Partner Violence
Human Trafficking: Nurse Practitioners Leading the Clinical Response
Module 1: Tobacco Cessation
Hot Topics In Infectious Disease for the PCP
2023 Update on Treatment of Hypertension in Older Adults (N23)